You are born at full speed. Falling. Falling at the same rate as your mother. At the same rate as your mother and father and everyone and everything around you. Terminal velocity. Zero acceleration. Nothing to feel.
The length of your life, of the life of your family, and your lineage, and your civilization, and recorded history is longer than the distance between you and the massive body into whose gravity you are consistently falling. No one you know will ever reach.
Your species has evolved to sense only in the direction in which you are all falling. Eyes front. Memory back. The ones who have long survived are those who have worried and planned and prognosticated and considered history in only one direction. No point considering anything but what you might pass through.
To try to conceptualize moving in reverse would be pointless. How can one move against time’s gravity? To try to consider the idea of left and right would be silly. The singularity keeps you on a taut trajectory. The ability of beings to move freely in all directions could only exist in the imagination of the stoned and the certifiable.
Questions for the inventors in this existence:
– How could one detect others around me, though not in my timeline?
– Which sense(s) could best be used to uncover this falling?
– How can we find the singularity?
– How does one measure speed without acceleration, against a infinite or empty backdrop?
– What device could we create that would float, or rise, or slow, or move off to the side while sending back telemetry?
– Before we dream to travel in it, how can we test if it is there?